1.Very few people could understand his lecture because the subject was very __.
A) faint B) obscure C)gloomy D)indefinite
2. Fortune-tellers are good at making statements such as "Your sorrows will change."
A) philosophical B) ambiguous C) literal D) invalid
3.Europe's earlier industrial growth was by the availability of key resources, abundant and cheap labor, coal, iron ore, etc.
A) constrained B) detained C) remained D) sustained
4. Don't let such a matter as this come between us so that we can concentrate on the major issue.
A) trivial B) slight C) partial D) minimal
5. All visitors are requested to with the regulations
A) comply B) agree C) assist D) consent
6. As visiting scholars, they willingly to the customs of the country they live in.
A)submit B)commit C)conform D)subject
7. Being impatient is with being a good teacher.
A) intrinsic B) ingenious C) incompatible D) inherent
8. Although the colonists to some extent with the Native Americans, the Indians' influence on American culture and language was not extensive.
A) migrated B) matched C) melted D) mingled
9. Since the two countries couldn't their differences, they decided to stop their negotiations.
A) rectify B) oblige C) reconcile D) obscure
10. It is my hope that everyone in this class should __ their errors before it is too late.
A) refute B) rectify C)expel D) exclude
11. Many scientists remain about the value of this research program.
A) skeptical B) stationary C) spacious D)specific【skeptical同义词doubtful;非suspicious】
12. The graduate his failure in job hunting to the lack of work experience.
A) imparted B) granted C) ascribed D) acknowledged
13. The work in the office was by a constant stream of visitors.
A) confused B) hampered C) reversed D) perplexed 【hamper同义词hinder】
14. Others viewed the findings with , noting that cause-effect relationship between passive smoking and cancer remains to be shown.
A)caution B)passion C)optimism D)deliberation
15. When supply exceeds demand for any product, prices are to fall.
A)timely B)liable C)simultaneous D)subject 【liable还有可靠的含义】
16. The person who this type of approach for doing research deserves our praise.
A)generated B)originated C)speculated D)manufactured
【表原创、创新的单词还有original, innovate, innovative】
17. More than 85 percent of French Canada's population speaks French as a mother tongue and _____to the Roman Catholic faith.
A)ascribes B)subscribes C)adheres D)caters 【adhere to同义短语stick to坚持】
18. Many people who revisit China today would notice changes, compared with what they saw a decade ago.
A) cognitive B) rigorous C) conspicuous D) exclusive
19. Parents often faced the between doing what they felt was good for the development of the child and what they could stand by way of undisciplined noise and destructiveness.
A) paradox B) junction C) premise D) dilemma
20. Fiber optic cables can carry hundreds of telephone conversations .
A) homogeneously B) spontaneously C) simultaneously D) ingeniously
21. Excellent films are those which national and cultural barriers.
A) transcend B) traverse C) abolish D) suppress
22. A big problem in lemming English as a foreign language is lack of opportunities for ________interaction with proficient speakers of English.
A) instantaneous B) provocative C) dual D) verbal
23. Because of the noise of traffic I couldn't get to sleep last night.
A) prevalent B) perpetual C) provocative D) progressive
24. His successful negotiations with the Americans helped him to his position in the government.
A) contrive B) consolidate C) heave D)intensify
25. When the farmers visited the city for the first time, they were by its complicated traffic system.
A) evoked B) undermined C) diverted D) bewildered
26. If Japan its relation with that country it will have to find another supplier of raw materials.
A) precludes B) terminates C) partitions D) expires
27. Among all the changes resulting from the entry of women into the work force, the transformation that has occurred in the women has generated great effects on society.
A) massive B) quantitative C) surplus D) formidable
28. Connie was told that if she worked too hard, her health would .
A)decay B)hopped C)darted D)degrade 【deteriorate 恶化】
29. The original elections were declared by the former military ruler.
A) surplus B) empirical C) void D) extravagant
30. Although we tried to concentrate on the lecture, we were by the noise form the next room.
A) discarded B) displaced C) dispersed D) distracted
31. As we know, computers are used to store and_______information efficiently.
A) reclaim B) reconcile C) reassure D) retrieve
32. The vulgar rich lady ______ herself like a Christmas tree, with shining jewelry all over.
A) ornaments B) decorated C) exhibited D) complemented
33. I suggest we cancel the scheme, for, given the current situation, it is not .
A) eligible B) sustainable C) probable D) feasible
34. He wouldn't answer the reporters' questions, nor would he for a photograph.
A) summon B) highlight C) pose D) marshal
35. The club will new members the first week in September.
A) enroll B) subscribe C) absorb D) register
36. They were in their scientific research, not knowing what happened just outside their lab.
A) submerged B) drowned C)immersed D) dipped
37. They have always regarded a man of and fairness as a reliable friend.
A) robustness B) temperament C) integrity D) compactness
38. Some researchers feel that certain people have nervous systems particularly to hot, dry winds. They are what we call weather-sensitive people.
A) subjective B) turbulent C) liable D) vulnerable
39. There is a difference in meaning between the words surroundings and environment.
A) naive B) subtle C) feeble D) nasty
40. Allen will soon find out that real life is seldom as simple as it is in commercials.
A) permeated B) alleged C) depicted D) coincided
But high-tech groups, including the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group and the American Electronics Association, oppose the measures, arguing that fees of up to $30 will drive consumers to online, out-of-state retailers.
The main problem is its prevalence, and the social costs that ensue from the use by everyone of something that would be fairly harmless if, say, only the rich were to use it. It is a price we pay for equality.
The study of primitive peoples has discovered such a diversity of customs, values, feelings, and thoughts that many anthropologists arrived at the concept that man is born as a blank sheet of paper on which each culture writes its text.